Starch-based Edible Coatings Market : Competition, Value chain Analysis and Forecast 2019 – 2027
Starch-based Edible Coatings Market: Overview
- Starch-based edible coatings are increasingly sought as an effective way to enhance post-harvest life of agricultural food materials such as fruits and vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products
- Starch-based edible coatings improve the shelf life of perishable food products and keep them in the fresh form for a longer period of time
- Commonly used starch products for producing starch-based edible coatings include corn starch, potato starch, sweet potato starch, and cassava starch. Starch-based edible coating raw materials are moderately expensive. Rise in production of starch in developing economies such as China and India is anticipated to ensure proper supply of the materials to the market and help in lowering the prices.
- Potato starch and sweet potato starch are relatively expensive as compared to corn starch and cassava, which are the leading types of starch
Is something restraining your company’s growth in the Starch-based Edible Coatings Market? Ask for the report brochure here
Key Drivers of Starch-based Edible Coatings Market
- Need to preserve perishable foods from going stale and extend the period for which they remain fresh are the primary drivers of the starch-based edible coatings market. Moreover, unlike other coatings such as wax coatings, these are human friendly and have no side effects on consumption by humans. These properties makes starch-based edible coating an ideal material for usage in agriculture, poultry, and dairy applications.
- Busy lifestyle has boosted the demand for easily consumable products that are not affected by bacteria. However, alarming rise in health issues faced by consumers have made them aware of consuming healthy and nutritive convenience food products. The growth of convenience food is expected to propel the demand for starch-based edible coatings during the forecast period.
Fruits & Vegetables Segment to lead Expansion of Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market
- Starch-based edible coatings are primarily used in the following applications: fruits & vegetables, meat, poultry & fish, dairy products, nutritional products, and bakery & confectionery
- Fruits & vegetables is anticipated to be the dominant segment of the global starch-based edible coatings market during the forecast period. Fruits and vegetables are easily perishable and susceptible to diseases post-harvest. The quality of these products deteriorates when they are exposed to environmental conditions and are no longer fit for consumption. In order to prevent this, starch-based edible coatings are increasingly used.
- Countries such as China, India, and Brazil have extensive agricultural production and also produce starch raw materials. Demand for starch-based edible coatings from these countries in the fruits & vegetables segment is therefore high.
- Meat, poultry, and fish and dairy products are the other prominent consumers of starch-based edible coatings. These are also perishable in nature and therefore require coatings along with packaging to improve shelf life.
- Bakery & confectionery and nutritional products segments are expected to expand at a rapid pace in the near future due to the rise in adoption of starch-based edible coatings during the forecast period
Asia Pacific Expected to Hold Dominant Share of Global Starch-based Edible Coatings Market
- North America is the leading consumer of starch-based edible coatings in the world. Demand for starch-based edible coatings in the region is rising at a rapid rate due to the increase in usage of these coatings to prevent post-harvest losses of agricultural produce and poultry products. Moreover, growth in consumer preference for health foods, which are safe and minimally processed, is expected to drive the demand for starch-based edible coatings in North America during the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is a prominent consumer of starch-based edible coatings in the world. Most of the demand in the region is concentrated in China, Japan, and India. Rise in consumer awareness regarding organic and healthy food products is propelling the demand for starch-based edible coatings in Asia Pacific. Moreover, the region is the leading producer of starch raw materials such as corn starch and potato starch.
- Europe is a mature market for starch-based edible coatings. The region held key share of the global demand for starch-based edible coatings in 2018. Various substitutes are available for improving the shelf life of food products in the region. The food packaging industry is anticipated to expand at a slow pace during the forecast period. These factors are estimated to lead to slow growth of the starch-based edible coatings market during the forecast period.
- Latin America and Middle East & Africa constitute smaller share of the global demand for starch-based edible coatings. These regions are expected to create lucrative opportunities for the starch-based edible coatings market during the forecast period.
Stuck in a neck-to-neck competition with other brands? Request a custom report on competition on Starch-based Edible Coatings Market here
Key Players Operating in Starch-based Edible Coatings Market:
Various players are engaged in the manufacture of starch-based edible coatings across the globe. Almost half of the market is occupied by organized players and market leaders. Key players operating in the starch-based edible coatings market include:
- Cargill Inc.
- Ingredion Inc.
- BENEO GmbH
- Kerry Group
- Tate & Lyle Plc.
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Roquette Frères
- Flo Chemical Corporation
- Millennium Starch India Pvt.Ltd
- Tidecom Technology Co., Ltd
- Ashland Inc.
- Royal DSM N.V.